Sunday, October 26, 2014

Week One Observations

On Thursday October 23, 2014 I went to make my first observations on my microaquarium.  My observations were made with a powerful microscope that had a camera attachment, which made taking pictures and videos reality.  When I sat down and looked at my aquarium for the first time since its setup I could not believe my eyes.  The abundance of wildlife had grown exponentially.  Every little twitch of the knob set my eyes on a new creature, large and small.  Although I saw many creatures, I really tried to focus on one in particular.  This creature's name is a Vorticella.  I made a picture that contained it feeding and moving stage, but they did not email correctly.  So instead, I will add a picture of a Gastrotricha I captured.  Here is a picture of it.


I obtained the name of the Gastrotricha initially from Dr. McFarland, and the looked it up in the book "Free-living Freshwater Protozoa:A Colour Guide".  The book explained that Gastroctichs normally are found in the sediment area of water sources and can sometimes be found on land.  The gastrotrich moved around in a slug-like manner.

Aside from the Gastrotrichs and Vorticellas, I spotted a large number of Nematodes.  At the rate of reproduction of these creatures, my microaquarium is soon going to be packed tight with life.  I cannot wait to see where this goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment