Sunday, November 2, 2014

Week Two Observations

On Thursday October 30, 2014 I went into the lab to perform my second microaquarium observation.  Prior to my arrival, Mr. McFarland placed one beta food pellet in my microaquarium.  This was done on Friday October 24, 2014.  

Beta Food Pellet
"Atison's Betta Food" made by Ocean Nutrition, Aqua Pet Americas, 3528 West 500 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84104. Ingredients: Fish meal, wheat flower, soy meal, krill meal, minerals, vitamins and preservatives. Analysis: Crude Protein 36%; Crude fat 4.5%; Crude Fiber 3.5%; Moisture 8% and Ash 15%.

When I arrived at the lab I grabbed my microaquarium thinking that the food pellet would have minimal effect over the amount of life in the aquarium.  Although, after looking at it in the microscope for a couple of seconds I could tell that that was far from correct.  The amount of life inside the aquarium had exploded!  The week before I actually had to look hard for creatures and this week I would see multiple with every flick of the turn knob.

One creature that really caught my attention was a Seed Shrimp.


The Seed Shrimp, or Ostracod, is quite an interesting life form.  He might be the fastest creature in my aquarium.  When I was observing it, the seed shrimp liked to reside in the bottom in all of the sediment.  It was actually rather large, and when I looked closely enough I could see it with my naked eye.  Upon further inspection in the microscope I could see that it had a set of pinchers that it would move very vigorously.  I only found 2-3 seed shrimp in my aquarium.

The next creature that I snapped a picture of was the Oscillatoria.


The Oscillatoria were everywhere in my aquarium.  They are a type of cyanobacteria named after there movement.  The one that is in the picture above would move very slowly and jiggle.  The Oscillatoria is rather large compared to other creatures in the microaquarium.

The beta food pellet made a huge impact on the overall abundance of life.  It is amazing that in that small span of time these creatures were able to reproduce so rapidly.  I am looking forward to seeing was is in store for next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment